1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion —diced
1 pound 90% lean ground beef
1 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons tomato paste.
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 15oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 16oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1. Add the olive oil to a large soup pot and place it over medium-high heat for two minutes.
Add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the ground beef to the pot. Break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 6-7 minutes,
until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the chili powder, cumin, sugar, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Stir until well combined.
4. Add the broth, diced tomatoes with their juice, drained beans, and tomato sauce. Stir well.
5. Bring the liquid to a low boil. Then reduce the heat to low to medium-low to gently simmer
the chili, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove the pot from the heat. Let the chili rest for 5-10 minutes before serving