2 tablespoons vegetable or oil
1 cup drained brown rice
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
2 cups warm water or broth
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons minced garlic, about 2 cloves
- Rinse rice and soak brown rice 1 hour to soften.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add rice. Cook rice, stirring constantly, for several minutes, until rice begins to turn a golden color.
- Reduce heat to low to avoid spattering. Gently pour in warm water, then tomato sauce and stir.
Stir in chili powder, tomato paste and minced garlic. Turn heat back up to medium-high, bring to a boil, then reduce to low and cover. Simmer for 60 minutes, or until all water has been absorbed.
- Turn off heat, ﬂuff rice then let sit, covered, for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- left/rear burner 1.5 for 60 minutes.